"An electric scooter lock should be your No.1 priority."
You think it won't happen to you! But then it does and your e-scooter's gone. It was only a matter of time.
You said to yourself, "Hey, I always keep my electric scooter with me. If I'm not riding it I'm carrying my scooter. On the subway, up the stairs."
But supposing there's no locker storage at your destination. Or the locker is too small.
What happens if you need to park your scooter?
Alongside protective headwear an electric scooter lock should be your No.1 priority.
Particularly, if you sign up for riding the daily commute on a desirable looking e scooter.
In this article we'll check out the best electric scooter locks to keep your scooter secure.
From current and new heavy-duty U locks, chain locks, cable locks, disc brake locks and folding locks. To latest anti theft alarms and tracking devices.
Let's get safe...
Why you need an electric scooter lock
You might think the answer is obvious. Why would you leave your scooter unattended without locking it? Especially, if you've subscribed to riding a high quality, smart looking scooter, such as the Unagi Voyager.
But as more people use an electric scooter for the daily urban commute - and for recreation - e scooter theft is also on the rise.
Increase in e scooter theft
Different surveys highlight an increase in e scooter theft:
- 40,000 e scooters estimated stolen in the USA in 2021 - up from 20,000 in 2020.
- $800 - average value of an e-scooter stolen in 2021.
(Source: National Insurance Crime Bureau - NICB).
- 129 per cent rise in e scooter theft in the US in 2021.
(Source: Crosstown, news and data).
Top US states for electric scooter theft in 2022
- California - 1,650
- Florida - 1,050
- Texas - 850
- New York - 750
- Illinois - 650
Common locations for electric scooter theft
- College campuses
- Urban areas
- Near public transportation hubs
- In parking lots
- In apartment complexes
(Source: National Insurance Crime Bureau - NICB).
The NICB say rising electric scooter theft is due to:
- Growing popularity of e-scooters.
- Electric scooters often left unlocked and unattended.
- E scooters relatively easy to steal.
It's clear... if you own an e scooter, or crucially, gotten a subscription on one - we absolutely recommend you need a reliable lock to keep your electric scooter safe. It makes perfect common sense.
Time to check out some of the latest, and best scooter locks out there for your hard-earned dollars.
Best locks for electric scooters - what you need to know
To lock an electric scooter you'll most likely choose between a range originally designed as a bike lock. And mainly used to secure e bikes as well as for e scooter security.
Your choice of locking mechanisms will mainly depend on:
- How the lock will attach to your scooter frame and to a secure locking point, e.g. a permanent fixture.
- How resistant the lock is to wire cutters, bolt cutters and other hand tools, particularly, an angle grinder.
Ultimately, no lock is unbreakable - given enough time and some heavy-duty power tools.
The best locks for electric scooters (and e bikes) are:
Made strong enough to need more time to break - by even heavier-duty power tools.
Like e bike owners, the key aim of electric scooter riders is not only to stop a thief stealing their e scooter.
But also to put a chance thief off - or even a determined thief.
You simply limit the number of thieves likely to carry the necessary hand tools, and the longer time needed to steal your scooter.
If you want to achieve as near to maximum security as you can - you should be prepared to get the best electric scooter lock your budget will allow.
What are the different types of lock for an electric scooter?
Further down this page we'll also check out other types of anti theft devices. Including, electronic theft deterrents such as anti theft alarms and tracking devices.
Let's first dive into the current different options to lock an electric scooter to secure locking points, as follows:
- U Locks
- Chain locks
- Cable locks
- Disc brake locks
- Folding locks
U locks for electric scooters
It has to be said - the best electric scooter lock will always be more heavy-duty, and more expensive. You're sure to have seen them used by owners of e bikes - for securing to bike racks, for example.
In the heavy duty category U locks are one of the most secure types of lock that e scooter owners can buy. This is because:
- Electric scooter U locks are made of heat treated hardened steel bars. ( Including the Kryptonite lock version, and the chain lock type).
- Their thick shackle - the U-shaped bar, itself - means electric scooter U locks are also resistant to attacks from hand tools, such as a bolt cutter.
Choosing the right sized U lock
U-locks come in a variety of sizes, so you need to get the right size for your particular e scooter.
IMPORTANT: You need to ensure your U lock is small enough so it cannot be quickly slipped over:
- Front of scooter frame.
- Wheel hubs.
Recommended U locks
No listing of recommended high quality locks - both new and long standing - would be complete without first including:
Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit Mini Lock
Kryptonite locks - from the US Kryptonite brand - are among the strongest and most reliable for both e bikes and e scooters, including U locks, chain locks and disc locks. They also offer lifetime warranty and theft insurance.
Amongst the Kryptonite range the New York Fahgettaboudit Mini Lock has long been known as the strongest portable lock. The main reasons are:
- Locks into crossbar on both sides of the shackle - would need to be cut twice to break open.
- No space inside its 18 mm thick U shape - prevents inserting and breaking open with a crowbar or scaffolding bar.
- Completely resistant to attack by hand tools- from both a manual bolt cutter and a hydraulic bolt cutter.
However, it's not so resistant to attack by an angle grinder.
Abus Granit XPlus 540
This is a similar U lock to the Kryptonite but with a slightly reduced 13 mm thick U shape. It's hardened steel build means it's totally resistant to lock picking, bolt cutters, hacksaws and wire cutters.
But once again, it can take just seconds for an angle grinder to cut through.
You would need to look to some of the newer U locks to hold out against an angle grinder, and better able to offer greater e scooter security.
All four U locks have the all-important ability to:
- Resist an angle grinder from cutting through the lock.
Litelok X1 and Litelok X3
- Outside of the shackle is protected by a ceramic composite material - which wears down the angle grinder discs as they try to cut through.
The Litelok X1 is slightly less muscular than the Litelok X3. It also has a small lock cylinder compared to the X3 cylinder. Both are resistant to lock picking, bolt cutters, hacksaws and wire cutters.
- Entire lock is made from a ceramic composite - rather than fused to the outside surface of the steel bar.
The Altor SAF is often highlighted as one of the top, super-tough angle grinder resistant U locks. It gives you an 80 mm shackle thickness, which double-locks into a hardened steel cross bar of 14 mm thickness.
- Entire body is encased by an aluminum shell - designed to give any angle grinder a LONG, hard time with cutting through the shackle. Up to an hour on some tests!
Weighing in at a massive SIX kilos ( 13.2 lbs), this U lock will not only beef up your anti theft security but also impact portability and ride load.
Chain locks for electric scooters
Chain locks consist of a heavy steel chain and locking bar. They offer more than sufficient security when wrapped fast around a permanent fixture or immovable object.
The strongest chain locks will resist particular types of attacks that even some U locks cannot withstand. Most typically, crow bars and hydraulic bottle jacks, which find it almost impossible to break a chain lock.
This is because the chain is made of:
- Interconnected thick steel links -made from hardened steel bars.
- Normally covered in a tough cloth or plastic - to prevent corrosion and damage.
Choosing the right size chain lock
Chain locks are available with links of various thickness. This is because of the noticeable weight and bulkiness of a chain lock as the thickness of its links increase. Extra carrying weight will inevitably be added to most electric scooters, which can also also limit overall portability.
However, you should really only be looking at chain locks with links of around 15-16 mm thick, minimum. This is because chain links of a lower thickness can be cut open by bolt cutters.
It's always important to choose:
- The thickest diameter chain you can which is still light and portable enough for your daily commute.
- Just enough chain length to wrap your e scooter to secure locking points.
The way it locks should:
- Keep the chain well off the ground to deter a potential thief.
As with U locks, most e scooter chain locks are ultimately, not resistant to attack by an angle grinder.
Recommended chain locks
The Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit Chain
Considered one of the most secure locks available, the Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit Chain is made with:
- 14mm manganese hardened steel bars.
- 18mm hardened steel shackle.
- Option of 3.3ft (99 cm)or 5ft (150cm) chain length - to correctly and securely wrap your scooter to a permanent fixture such as a bike rack, signpost or dedicated mounting bracket.
- Six-sided chain links.
- Double deadbolt, high security, disc style cylinder lock -two locking mechanisms more difficult to break open and also resistant to drilling out or and picking open.
Other chain locks in the Kryptonite range include:
Kryptonite New York Legend 1515
Also recommended as the most secure lock in the range, the Legend 1515 has:
- 15 mm thick chain links
- 16 mm shrouded shackle padlock
- Option of two chain lengths: 2.6 ft (90 cm) and 5ft (150 cm)
Kryptonite New York 1275
A similar heavy duty chain lock for raising your scooter's maximum security level, the New York 1275 has:
- 12 mm thick links
- 14 mm shackle and disc lock
- Option of two chain lengths: 2.4ft (75 cm) and 4.2 ft (130 cm)
Terra Hiker 5-Digit Combination Chain Lock
An alternative to the double bar lock, the Terra Hiker offers a 5-digit combination lock.
- 100,000 possible combinations - and impossible for any chance thief to crack.
As with many of the best lock types on the market, the Terra Hiker is made from manganese hardened steel bars, and highly resistant to hand tools such as cutters, drills and saws.
- 12mm thick links
- 22 links
- 2.8ft ( 87 cm) chain
- 37in (94 cm) total wrap circumference
The slightly smaller thickness links mean this chain lock weighs in at 0.64 kg (1.42 lb). Which you might find more portable.
Cable locks for electric scooters
Cable locks are the most common type of lock used to secure cycles, bikes, e bikes and electric scooters.
They are relatively inexpensive and lightweight. And often a good option if you want a lock that's easy to carry and use compared to heavy duty U locks and chain locks.
3 types of cable lock
A cable lock basically consists of a single steel cable, usually enclosed in PVC or vinyl to prevent scratching or wear to your scooter's frame. It's normally available as either one of THREE different locking methods for securing the cable ends together:
- By key lock
- By combination lock
- Both ends of the cable formed into a loop for a padlock or U-lock to be inserted
What you should know: A cable lock is also the least secure type of lock. It can be easily cut with bolt cutters, saws or other hand tools.
However, when used with an U-lock, a cable lock is often tipped as making a great secondary lock for adding a further layer of scooter security.
Recommended cable locks
Quality and price can differ when comparing cable locks for electric scooters and e bikes, as well as for use in other applications. There are a variety of cable lengths and thicknesses. Here are a few typical examples.
By key lock:
Titanker Scooter Cable Key Lock
This cable lock has:
- Anti-rust, zinc alloy construction, and
- Dust proof keyhole cover
Both of which, offer protection from the weather and, potentially, a longer working life.
- 4ft (120cm) long cable - multi purpose use to not only lock an electric scooter but also for other security applications.
- 2 'unique" keys - gives an extra layer of security.
At a fairly hefty 0.38 kg (0.7 lbs), this cable lock is definitely more heavy duty than most for security duties.
By combination lock:
Segway-Ninebot 5-Digit Combination Scooter Lock
Some combination cable locks offer a 4 digit lock. The Segway gives you:
- 5 digit lock - with 100,000+ possible combinations, so definitely aimed to put off a chance thief.
Construction also makes it difficult for trying to quickly break open with hand tools.
- Tough, braided steel cable - able to withstand 3 kilonewtons (674.42 lbs) tension (stretch resistance) and 9 kilonewtons 2023.28 (lbs) shear (tearing) force.
- 4ft (120cm) long x 1/2in (12mm) diameter - designed for multiple security applications when not in use for locking your electric scooter.
This cable lock weighs in at 0.2 kg (0.44 lbs), so lighter for those riders concerned about carrying on their daily commute.
Cable combined with U-Lock
This method of securing your scooter combines a cable with a U lock. Instead of the two ends of a steel cable secured by combination lock or key lock, here you have a U lock inserted into the cable's two looped ends.
Amongst the many products available to choose from are:
A heavy duty steel and zinc U-Lock to secure looped cable ends.
- 14mm shackle
- 10mm (thickness) x 1.8m (5.9 in) (L) cable
Combining a heavy duty U Lock with a long, chunky steel cable produces a weight of 3.2 pounds (1.45 kg). It will add to your scooter load, and some riders may find not so easy to carry back and forth every day.
- 16mm shackle
- 12mm ( thickness) x 1.2m (3.9ft) (L) braided steel cable
An almost identical weight for the Sigtuna U lock and cable at 3.1 lb (1.41 kg).
Hardened steel and double deadlock U lock to secure looped cable ends.
- 12.7mm shackle
- 10mm (thickness) x 1.21 m ( 4ft) (L) braided steel cable
The Kryptonite brand is known for its heavy duty products. And this U lock and cable combo is one of the heaviest - weighing in at a hefty 3.65 lbs (1.66 kgs).
Disc brake locks for electric scooters
Disc brake locks are a relatively inexpensive method of adding an extra layer of security to your electric scooter.
Disc locks are designed to slot inside the wheel hub and attach to the disc brake of an electric scooter. The brake discis securely locked into place to immobolize your scooter and prevent a thief from quickly riding away.
IMPORTANT: Disc locks are not as secure as U-locks or chain locks. Using a disc lock may not deter a thief from simply picking up and walking away with your scooter.
Inbuilt sound alarm
However, some disc locks have an inbuilt 'anti-tamper' sensor, and will sound an alarm if any movement is detected.
What you should also know... disc locks tend to be made for a wider wheel disc brakes, and may simply not fit your particular scooter unless it has wider wheels.
Disc locks are lightweight and portable but it's recommended to be used as additional anti theft protection alongside a more solid locking mechanism, such as U locks or chain locks.
Recommended disc locks
Kicking off with an alarm disc lock:
Kryptonite KryptoLok Alarm Disc Lock
- 6mm locking pin
- Zinc die cast construction
- Built-in 120dB alarm
- 2 keys
A non-alarm disc lock from the Kryptonite brand:
Kryptonite KryptoLok DFS-10 disc-lock
- 10mm locking pin
- Hardened drop forged steel construction - resists cutting and sawing hand tools.
- 2 keys
Linkax Alarm Disc Lock
- 7mm locking pin
- Weather-resistant aluminium alloy construction
- 110db alarm system
- 1.5m (5ft) 'reminder' cable in vivid orange color
Seway Disc Brake Lock
- 6mm locking pin
- Waterproof, high-grade alloy steel construction
- 1.22m (4 ft) 'reminder' cable in hot red color
- 2 keys
Folding locks for electric scooters
Using a folding lock could be the answer if you're looking for security and portability. The clue is in the name - folding lock.
More secure than a cable lock
As a small and lightweight folding mechanism, it's more secure than a cable lock. However, a folding lock is unlikely to match the full-body resistance of a chunky U lock or heavy chain lock. This means less resistance to an attack by hand tools such as a bolt cutter.
There are quality folding locks available, better able to stand up to hand tools such as a saw and drill.
Recommended folding locks
Nanrobot folding lock
A robust folding mechanism from Nanrobot Technology features:
- Heat treated, hardened alloy steel - anti-hydraulic, rust resistant and UV protected.
- Anti-heating lock
- Anti-drilling lock hole
- Small anti-picking lock cylinder
- 8 joint alloy steel heavy duty chain
- 3 keys
Seatylock Foldylock Mini
Foldylock is a select range of folding locks made by Seatylock, from small size premium to large size premium locks.
- Weight: 0.89 kg (1.96lb)
- Folded size: L 17.5 cm (6.89 in) x W 6 cms (2.3 in) x D 4.1 cm ( 1.6 in)
- Expanded size: 74 cm (29.5 in).
- Hardened alloy steel covered in anti-scratch ABS.
- Stainless steel anti-cutting and sawing rivets.
- 3 keys
Levy Folding lock
- Weight - 0.77 kg (1.7 lb)
- Folded Size: L 20cm (7.87 in) x W 7.5cm ( 2.95 in) x D 5.2cm (2.04 in)
- Expanded Size: 24.13 cm (9.5 in)
- Alloy steel, protected with ABS plastic coating
- 2 Keys
Other types of security protection for electric scooters
Many e scooter riders may prefer to go for the latest security devices that use technology. This usually means electronic theft deterrents such as:
- Anti theft alarms
which can be :
Standalone - attach to your scooter with a strap, or
Part of a manual security device - such as a disc lock which sounds when tampered with or scooter is moved.
- GPS tracking devices
Are linked to the GNSS (Global Navigation Satellite System), which uses the satellite to provide real-time location data.
A GPS tracking unit may be hidden in handlebars, a scooter's frame, or another cavity, such as within a lighting unit.
Recommended anti theft alarms
- 150dB wireless system
- 7 levels of adjustable sensitivity from 'soft touch' to 'hit'
- Remote key fob - range up to 20m (66ft)
- IP55 Waterproof
- 113dB Wireless Siren
- 7 different sensitivity levels and 3 volume levels
- Alarm can be paired with up to 8 key fob remotes
- L 9.5cm (3.75 in) x W 4.2 (1.65 in) x H 2.3 cms (0.90 in)
- 110dB wireless system
- 7 levels adjustable sensitivity
- 3 levels adjustable volume
- Remote key fob - range up to 20m (66ft).
- IP54 Waterproof
- 0.17 kgs (6 oz)
GPS tracking devices
Important to know ... there are various different types of trackers, including:
- Real-time tracking
- Delayed tracking - points to an “approximate” location ( around 1 or more minutes previously)
A tracker may also enable you to set up a GPS controlled zone via an app or website which will alert you if that zone is breached.
SIM card is needed to activate the GPS tracker.
Recommended GPS trackers
There are simply loads of trackers out there, of varying quality and function.
But here are some GPS trackers specifically designed for electric scooters:
- IP65 waterproof and dustproof
- Can only be removed from scooter with a special anti-theft key
- Geo-Fence Zones
- Ignition Detection
- Movement Detection
- IPX5 waterproof
- Real time tracking
- Geo-Fence zones
- Route history
- Vibration alarm
- IP66 waterproof
- Dustproof, shockproof
Other important security actions you should always carry out
- Take pictures of your scooter and keep them handy (on your phone).
- Lock your scooter in a well-lit and visible location.
- Try to find a location under constant CCTV surveillance.
- Avoid locking your scooter in dark, secluded areas.
- Always secure to an immovable object, including bike racks and ground anchors. Or sufficiently tall enough, such as street lighting poles, sign posts and thick trees.
- Ensure a lock chain is as short as possible, and wrapped tightly around your scooter's frame.
- Be aware of your surroundings - and who maybe watching - when locking your scooter.
Summing up - why take the risk?
Investing in a high quality lock for your electric scooter is a no brainer.
Why risk losing your pride and joy to a chance thief because your electric scooter wasn't locked up tight properly - or at all?
The main thing is to work out which type of lock you can feel comfortable to ride with and carry around. It's always best to go with at least one heavy duty U lock or cable lock.
Even better is to add another type of lock for an added layer of security. Particularly, if you only have a cable lock because of ease of portability.
Also consider hiding a tracking device inside your scooter for locating if, unfortunately, the worst does happen.
5 Reasons to Buy a Scooter This Holiday Season
Are you tired of sitting in traffic, spending a fortune on gas, and constantly searching for a parking spot? Say hello to the electric scooter - your new best friend for getting around town. Let's dive into the top 5 reasons why you should buy an electric scooter this holiday season.
Maximizing Electric Scooter Battery Life: Maintenance Tips and Best Practices
Want to get the most out of your electric scooter battery and extend your riding adventures? We've got you covered with our comprehensive guide full of maintenance tips and best practices.
Unagi All-Access: Rolling into Summer
With the addition of Chicago, Washington DC, Northern Maryland and Virginia, and NW Indiana, our All-Access scooter subscription service is now available to more than 75 million people. But we’re just getting started: we want to make Unagi the ubiquitous standard for short-distance transportation around the world.
The New Unagi Service Center
You're already aware of many of them: Dual motors. Premium materials. Lightweight is king. And it's not difficult for anyone to see that Unagi cares about design more than any other scooter company...But the topics for today are brand, customer obsession, and our All-Access subscription service...
Unagi Springs Forward
We’re launching our All-Access subscription service in six new cities, and expanding in two more. And with $10.5 million in new funding, we’re ready for takeoff in 2021...These areas represent a market of more than 30 million consumers – putting Unagi’s All-Access service within reach of 1 in every 10 Americans
The World's Fastest Electric Scooters in 2021
Electric scooters are quickly overtaking other means of transportation as the best way to cover short distances. They’re lightweight, portable, convenient, and more environmentally friendly than almost any means of powered transport.
Love or Hate: 9 Studies Show What People Actually Think About Electric Scooters
It’s more or less a given these days that micromobility solutions like electric scooters are part of a major transportation revolution “Among many [recent] technology milestones,” reported Government Technology, “one of them was certainly that...e-scooters became a fixture in many…
Pro Tips from Real Scooter Riders
Telling people through paid advertisements that an electric scooter will change their life is one thing. Letting them hear it from real people who own and love their scooters is something else. Now that we all have the ability to…
Security and Locks for Electric Scooters
Micromobility has already helped solve several modern transportation issues, and may reshape the way we get around in the near future. But small electric vehicle owners are still plagued by an ancient problem. Electric scooters present new security challenges, and…
How to Buy the Best Electric Scooter for Commuting
The variety of electric scooters on the market has exploded in recent years, from lightweight, low-powered recreational vehicles to heavy-duty scooters built for rugged off-road use, and everything in-between. This range of options can leave consumers a little dizzy, especially…
How to Ride an Electric Scooter
How to Ride an Electric Scooter Maybe you’ve finally decided that a fast, lightweight, folding electric scooter meets your transportation needs, and you’ve already started looking for the perfect electric scooter. But there’s one problem—you’ve never ridden an electric scooter…
Electric Scooter Buying Tips for Adults
If you've noticed people in your area breezing by you on their electric scooters, you might wonder if an e-scooter would also fit your commuter lifestyle. Well, if you want to save money, contribute to the environment, and avoid traffic, electric scooters deliver on all bases.
Best Locks for Electric Scooters
5 Best Locks for Electric Scooters Owning a folding electric scooter should eliminate the need for a heavy-duty padlock or shackle to secure your ride. That's especially true for foldable e-scooters like the Model One from Unagi, which folds down…
CES Dispatch: The E500 Is A Big Upgrade
Every year, the Consumer Electronics Show brings hundreds of thousands of visitors to Las Vegas in order to show off, contrast, compare, or merely gawk at the latest consumer electronic gadgets and trends We’re also in town for the show,…
5 E-Scooter Life Hacks
We all know electric scooters are fun. The sun on your skin, the wind in your hair – trying one out is not a hard sell. On top of that, there are also the practical benefits of riding electric scooters.
5 Tips for E-Scooter Etiquette
Anyone can ride an e scooter, but not everyone who rides one rides it with the proper electric scooter etiquette. In this article, we'll cover all the dos and don'ts of electric scooter etiquette, so you can ride with confidence and consideration. Get ready to hit the road (safely) with your e-scooter!
Your Personal Liberation Device
Beginning today, Unagi Scooters is now shipping its world-class electric scooters to pre-order customers in the United States, and new orders are immediately being fulfilled “The Unagi Scooter heralds a new era for the commuting consumer who simply wants an…